Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tomato Basil Rigatoni Mac-n-Cheese

1st off ... this pic is a webpic ... I made this a few days before the blog started, but I wanted to post it anyway. I got it from my family circle magazine.
* 1/2 cup dry (not in oil!!) packed sun-dried tomatoes chopped
* 1 box whole wheat rigatoni pasta (I did NOT use my whole box)
* 1 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
* 1/4 cup tomato basil cream cheese (said Philadelphia but I did not find this so I got light chive and added a little extra sun-tried tomato & fresh basil to my cream cheese & whipped it up a little bit)
* 4 - 6 slices provolone cheese chopped
* 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
* 2 tsp cornstartch mixed w/ 1 tbs water
* 1/2 cup fresh basil cut into thin strips
* parmesan cheese
* salt & pepper to taste
Heat water for pasta - set out 1 cup & pour over sundried tomatoes - let stand a few minutes & drain & chop more if needed. Then cook pasta & drain
Heat milk over med. heat just until bubbly, remove & whisk in cream cheese, provolone & mozzarella until melted (may be little "stringy") Stir in cornstarch/water & bring to heat again & whisk until smooth. Add salt & pepper.
Mix together pasta, cheese sauce, pasta, basil & top w/ parm. cheese.
*NOTE -- I decided to make a meal of this!!! I cut chicken breast into cubes & cooked them in a little olive oil until cooked through. Then I added to pasta, put in baking dish, topped w/ parmesan cheese & then baked just to melt cheese on top. Everyone LOVED it. I served w/ a green salad & that was dinner!!***
** 493 cal --
** 14g fat (mine was a little less I think. Depending on your milk & if you find light cream cheese)
** 23g protein --
** 5g fiber (depending on your pasta choice)

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh...this looks lovely...I think I am going to make this next week!! I am loving From Table to Table already!! :)

    ReplyDelete