Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Turkey Vegetable Soup

We had been experiencing some cooler weather here and when I made my grocery/meal list I decided that fall soup would be great.  Well, it has once again gotten steamy outside, but I already had this delicious soup on my brain.  Taste much better in cooler weather...guess I shouldn't try to rush the changing season!!
Note:  I serve this with tortilla chips or a crusty bread and often omit the cheese.  Tastes even better the next day.
Turkey Vegetable Soup

cooking spray
1 cup finely chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
1/2 finely chopped onion
1 1/2 tsp. bottled minced garlic
1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey breast
3 cups water
1 cup sliced carrot (about 2 large)
1/2 cup frozen French-cut green beans
1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 beef-flavored bouillon cubes, chopped
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I use 1 1/2 cup dry beans that I have soaked and cooked)
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
6 tbsp shredded Monterey jack cheese

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add celery, onion, garlic and turkey. Cook 5 minutes or until ground turkey is browned, stirring to crumble. Add 3 cups water and remaining ingredients, except cheese; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Top each serving with cheese.

2 comments:

  1. WhooooHooooo!! One more recipe for my ground turkey!!! Always looking for these. But ya know I'm a cheese lover -- don't know if I could leave it out. Ha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow- you both amaze me... didn't you just start this like yesterday? I agree w/ Melissa... everything is better w/ cheese!

    Love you are posting what you serve w/ your dishes as well!

    Guess I better get on the ball!

    ReplyDelete