Thursday, October 7, 2010

Potato & Corn Chowder

Not my picture -- my mother came over for dinner & I did not have time to take a picture of ours, but I have to say it looks fairly close to this picture!!



3-4 slices apple-wood bacon (I used organic hickory smoke)

1 1/2 diced onion

1 tsp fresh thyme (I used dried)

3 garlic cloves minced

4 cups fresh corn (I used organic frozen & thawed it)

2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1/2 cup 2% milk (I used skim - so I added a little corn-starch to it)

1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2 (I used the lighter version)

10 oz of fingerling potatoes sliced (I used golden organics & cut in slices in 1/2)

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper


Cook bacon in large dutch over or soup pot. Cook until well done & take out & crumble & set aside. Then cook diced onion in bacon "juice" until tender & caramelized. Add garlic, thyme and then corn to pan & cook for about 1 minute stirring regularly. Put in milks, broth & potatoes. Bring to a simmer & cook until potatoes are tender (not mushy --- about 10 minutes or so).


Then, take about 2 cups out - place in blender (make sure the lid has air hole & is not airtight or the heat will blow lid off blender!!!!!) Blend until mix is smooth. Return to soup pan & add salt & pepper. Let simmer on low for a bit longer to thicken.


Serve in bowls w/ crumbled bacon & extra fresh thyme on top.

1 comment: