Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chicken and Rice "Stoup"


This is a Rachael Ray Recipe...

1lb boneless-skinless chicken (I used breast)
2 small onions (1 quartered & 1 chopped)
1 bay leaf (ugh...forgot this, so I threw in some rosemary)
1TB butter
1/3 cup orzo
3/4 c long grain white rice (I used long grain brown rice)
4 cups chicken stock
1TB EVOO
2 ribs of celery chopped into 1/4" pieces
1 carrot - pealed & chopped into 1/4" peces (I used a handful of baby carrots)
about 2 sprigs of thyme chopped (I used dried)
about handful of fresh dill (I used dried)
about handful of parsley (I used dried)
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 cup chopped portabella mushrooms (MY ADDITION!!! NOT ON RECIPE)

** Place chicken in pot & add enough water just to cover. (2-3cups) Add quartered onion & bay leaf (or rosemary for me) cover & bring to boil. Uncover & lower heat to cook through. Transfer chicken to bowl & strain liquid & set aside. Shred chicken pieces w/ fork.

*** In saucepan melt butter over med. heat & toast orzo. Stir in rice & 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to boil, lower heat & cover & cook until tender

*** In soup pot, heat EVOO add chopped onion, carrot & celery & salt & pepper and cook until tender. After tender add strained liquid + final 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil - add thyme, dill, parsley & lemon peel. Add shredded chicken & heat through. I ALSO ADDED CHOPPED BABY BELLA MUSHROOMS @ THIS POINT!!!!! Let heat through.

*** In bowl make "pile-of-rice" and pour soup over. ENJOY! :)

*** P.S. I added extra salt as I thought it needed it....but that's up to you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment